Snowmen at Night Chalk Pastel Drawings
- read the book “Snowmen at Night” which is beautifully illustrated by Mark Buehner. READ Snowmen at night: http://www.wegivebooks.org/books/snowmen-at-night/reader
- First I demonstrated how to draw and shade snowmen being lit by moonlight. Students needed to be able to create a sense of a 3-D form through shading on one side.
- They used chalk pastels on blue or purple construction paper.
- The snowman had to be doing some sort of activity.
- This is a good lesson for the principle of movement in Art.
- As well, we discussed how light (moonlight) can affect the way white snow looks. I encouraged color blending and mixing.
- Students also needed to include the moon on one side of their paper and make sure they shaded the correct side of the snowman
Lesson originally found on a faithful attempt